Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University credentials used by third parties

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:06:59 -0400

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:31:42 EDT, Nate johnson said:

You may have a point.  The picture was taken before my entry into the
field.  My memory may have failed, no pun intended, but I don't recall
memory sizes approaching 5 MBs in the 1960s, but that could simply be
my experience set.

It does appear to be an IBM 350 disk drive, with a capacity of 5M:
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_350.html
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_PH0350A.html

I just doubt that IBM ever shipped one on a plane without lots of plywood
around it. ;)