Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University credentials used by third parties

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:41:09 -0600

It is an awesome idea - We should not forget that across the world many of
these antiques continue to operate - I was working at a Nuclear Power Plant
in the late eighties and early nineties where the robot that defueled,
refueled and did much work in the reactor core was being controlled by a
PDP-8s with about 4K of physical memory and a panel full of cards that did
computation using a variety of chips.  The Robot was about four stories tall
and could reach down many feet into the reactor core.  The system was
programmed with paper-punch and a set of switches, where you could select
registers and memory locations and then enter discreet binary patters to
program the system.  It is amazing how much we got done with so little
computation.

Ozzie Paez

SSE/SAIC

303-332-5363