Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Dean Williams <dean.williams () UVM EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:15:20 -0400

It's good to know we're not alone. Our complaints seem to concentrate on gnutella (97 between 4/23 and 4/25 alone). BitTorrent brought just 9 complaints in the same period.

It's hard to understand the RIAA's strategy. The complaints would have much more impact earlier in the semester. When they come in the last week of classes, it's tons of work for the staff handling the complaints, but it's not very effective in terms of changing behavior. Virtually all violations are going to cease in about a week anyway, as students leave campus for the summer.

Dean Williams
Assistant Director for Client Services
Enterprise Technology Services
University of Vermont