Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Rapid Police Camera Deployment

From: "Consolvo, Corbett D" <cc72 () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:55:15 -0500

Has anyone worked with their police on methods for rapid/covert camera deployment and have any wisdom about it?
Our situation:
  We are deploying an IP-based camera system on a private vlan/network.  Our police would like to be able to in an
emergency connect a camera to the network (this could be any time, 24x7).  This may also include using a wireless
bridge.  The simplest solution would be to dedicate a port per equipment closet for UPD's use but I have some concerns
there.  This also seems like a great use of role-based networking but we're a few years away from that.  My current
thought is to include a small IPSEC router that would autoconnect back to a device on the private vlan and provide
connectivity for the codec/camera.  Any input greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Corbett Consolvo
Texas State University