Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge () UNM EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:22:20 -0600

Brenda B Gombosky wrote:

We have been inundated with RIAA notices this week - what we usually get
in 3-4 months we got this week!  Is anyone else experiencing this kind
or increase?

I think the size of the operations to search and find P2P has grown
quite a bit in the last 6 months. With most cases being settled out of
court for ~2k a pop per violation... thats a pretty penny to add to the
bottom line at the end of a tough quarter.

I am guessing this is the MPAA/RIAA's push to get more of it
prosecuted/dealt with. I would bet that in 6 weeks or so that a large
number of supeona's or whatever other legal thingees will be issued.

--
Stephen Smoogen -- ITS/Linux Administrator
  MSC02 1520 1 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001