Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Paul Keser <pkeser () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 17:07:10 -0700

Joe-

Can you share the details of your automation?  Either on list or off?
We are definitely looking for a way to automate processing DMCA
complaints and I am sure we are not the only one...

I remember seeing you post about it before but if there are any details
available that would be *fantastic*

Thanks

- -PaulK

Paul Keser
Assoc. Information Security Officer
Stanford University
650.724.9051
GPG Fingerprint:  DBA3 E20F CE91 28AA DA1C  4A77 3BD9 C82D 2699 24FB

Joel Rosenblatt wrote:
Hi,

Here is some facts from our automated DMCA system

Looking at the last 157 takedown notices
Average difference between timestamp in notice and verification was
388.64 seconds (6.48)
Maximum time was 3110 Seconds (51.83)
Minimum time was 0 Seconds
Significance – in one hour, we may turn over the dynamic IP address 4-6
times

Looking at the timestamp they send you is a good way to find the wrong
person if your using a dynamic IP assignment.

Since we switched (to automation), we find less than 2% bad reports.

My 2 cents
Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel

--On Monday, May 05, 2008 11:27 AM -0400 Tracy Mitrano