Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network scanning

From: "CHRIS GRABENSTEIN" <LFGRABC () LF VCCS EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:19:34 -0400

I don't think there is a really good way to do it.  Filtering by MAC on the
access point is good, but MACs can be spoofed.  The packets of course can
still be sniffed which could provide a lot of info.  I'd recommend something
like LEAP authentication with Cisco access points.  You have to use all-Cisco
wireless equipment, but it seems to work well.  Encryption on top of that
wouldn't be a horrible idea.

As far as the hard wires, I think the best solution is to search out those
unused ports and unplug them from the switch.  They can be quickly
reconnected if needed, and you'll know about it.  Sniffing for traffic from
new devices on the network is fine unless they use a sniffer cable which only
allows traffic to flow in one direction.  They're cheap and small.  Also,
just restricting who can grab an address via DHCP isn't good enough because
they can still use a static IP or just sniff.