Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network scanning

From: "James Fields" <jvfields () tds net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:27:51 -0400

Depending upon the type of network switches you use, you should be able to
turn on SNMP alerting for when ports go from a "not-connected" to a
"connected" state.  You should also consider disabling unused ports and
requiring server admins to schedule with the network folks when they are
putting a new box online.