Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network scanning

From: White-Tiger <white-tiger () rocketmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 08:27:21 -0700 (PDT)

Ok,
I do not know about eapol for wireless products, just
hardline.

when you plug in your device, you won't be able to see any
broadcasts until you go through the eapol process with the
MAC of the NIC,
so if they have access to a PC, they can look at the pc
MAC, then spoof it on the switch with their own device.

BUT if they already have access to a network PC, why don't
they just boot from CD and load whatever  CD os with there
tools on it !  that way they don't have to worry about
spoofing.

I kinda thought this is what WEP was for?

How about depending on os, the client side of wireless, had
a cert file, that creates a VPN that all traffic gets sent
through,  Not impossible to sniff, but just would take them
a while, depending how strong crypto you use.

--- Sebastian Schneider <ses () straightliners de> wrote:
no problem ;-)

I am sorry I got on this late... Some switches support
eapol
that works with a radius server to auth mac address at
port
level before the switch will enable that port... I have
done limited testing.  If you unplug a live connect,
not
only will someone be calling saying that something
doesn't
work, but when they plug in there NIC the switch will
see a
new MAC and disable the port.

Some one can give some ideas about MAC spoofing, But
doesn't the NIC give its real MAC to the switch while
you
are trying to spoof someone elses MAC?

if someone is setting the card into listening mode,
nobody
will get any address (i haven't checked this one out
yet)...
and by analyzing broadcast traffic you might be able to
get existing MACs on the network and spoof hosts easily.
this is a big deal for wireless based communications
I am sorry I got on this late... Some switches support
eapol
that works with a radius server to auth mac address at
port
level before the switch will enable that port... I have
done limited testing.  If you unplug a live connect,
not
only will someone be calling saying that something
doesn't
work, but when they plug in there NIC the switch will
see a
new MAC and disable the port.

Some one can give some ideas about MAC spoofing, But
doesn't the NIC give its real MAC to the switch while
you
are trying to spoof someone elses MAC?

if this is the case, then you can disable and port that
is
not a known MAC.

I have a baystack450, and I can setup the MAC in each
of
the switchs,  but that will be kinda hard to maintain.
So
I am looking at free radius for OpenBSD that supports
eapol, so I can just setup a file with all allowed
MACs.

Hope this helps,  sorry if someone already said this, I
am
a little late on the thread.

WT

--- Sebastian Schneider <ses () straightliners de> wrote:
On Friday 08 August 2003 14:19, CHRIS GRABENSTEIN