Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network scanning

From: "Simon" <simon () snosoft com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:50:00 -0700

One thing that you could do is use a tool that would send an ICMP
packet to all possible addresses in your particular network.  That
won't detect all connecting hosts, in particular if someone jacks in
to sniff only, but that assumes that your network is hub based.  If
your network is switch based then people will have a hard time
logging in and sniffing without being detected as they'd normally
have to ARP poison the switch or do something else that would be
detectable.

So... the simple 99% answer is, ping all possible IP addresses once,
if you get a response from an address thats not supposed to be
there... well... then you'll know.

Also, if you use DHCP then you could watch the DHCP log for new
systems... thats not super difficult either.