Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Proxy/HTTP Tunneliing servers

From: John Nunnally <Nunnally () HARDING EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:07:05 -0600

Hi Justin
To do centralized filtering – which is really the only way to go - you are
probably going to have to spend some money.  The commercial solution that
really does a good job is Websense. (www.websense.com). We use it at
Harding.

There is an appliance sold by “8e6” (www.8e6.com), but I have no experience
with it.

Another product called N2H2 is sold by Secure Computing
(www.securecomputing.com).  It has been used by the state of Arkansas to do
some filtering for their k-12 clients and others.  They actually sell two
products.  The K-12 version is called “Bess” and the more extensive product
is called “Sentian”.  That’s about all I know.

Cyberpatrol has a centralized solution as well but their database filtered
only about 70% of the objectionable sites when we used it about 5 years
back.  They may have improved.

Software solutions like Websense require an interaction with a firewall to
implement their filtering.  We use Cisco Pix with Websense.

For K-12, there are also products out there that work the opposite of
filters.  They provide a database of sites that have been researched and
OK'ed for use and block everything else.  I don't have any experience with
these products but it sounds like a good idea for some applications.

John Nunnally
Harding University