Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Proxy/HTTP Tunneliing servers

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:47:44 -0500

Surfcontrol at least used a bypass system. The way we used it at the boarding
school I used to work for was this: it sat on a hub where it could see all the
Internet traffic, you could use a span port with modern technology ;-)
When it saw traffic to a blocked site, it sent a reply ("Access Denied!") to the
requestor and a cancel to the remote host. Neatly done, without introducing a
failure point.

The down side was that it's nearly impossible for even a company like that to
keep up with the blocked site list :-(

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.calfrye.com, www.pitalabs.com, www.ouuf.org

  "Before me things create were none, save things Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here."

Justin Dover wrote:
*The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU <mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>>