Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Proxy/HTTP Tunneliing servers

From: "David P. Allen" <allendp () PLU EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 23:12:33 -0800

I can say that after deploying the N2H2 solution a couple of times in
the last few years it also works pretty well. I'm involved in a
triennial event involving a high school youth gathering with about
45,000 attendees split in two groups over 2 week long sessions. We
deploy upwards of 600+ systems in a major convention center used by a
variety of attendees for everything from general e-mail/web access to
event specific tasks. The N2H2 folks have been nice enough to "loan" us
the use of their solution for this that last two times (2003 & 2000).
While the kids didn't have a lot of time to try getting around it we
generally found the system handled this onslaught quite well.

We are preparing for our next event now and I'll be reviewing our
options with N2H2/Bess (now called SmartFilter) & others over the next
couple of months so this is helpful for me as well.

John Nunnally wrote:
Hi Justin
To do centralized filtering – which is really the only way to go - you are
probably going to have to spend some money.  The commercial solution that
really does a good job is Websense. (www.websense.com). We use it at
Harding.

There is an appliance sold by “8e6” (www.8e6.com), but I have no experience
with it.

Another product called N2H2 is sold by Secure Computing
(www.securecomputing.com).  It has been used by the state of Arkansas to do
some filtering for their k-12 clients and others.  They actually sell two
products.  The K-12 version is called “Bess” and the more extensive product
is called “Sentian”.  That’s about all I know.

Cyberpatrol has a centralized solution as well but their database filtered
only about 70% of the objectionable sites when we used it about 5 years
back.  They may have improved.

Software solutions like Websense require an interaction with a firewall to
implement their filtering.  We use Cisco Pix with Websense.

For K-12, there are also products out there that work the opposite of
filters.  They provide a database of sites that have been researched and
OK'ed for use and block everything else.  I don't have any experience with
these products but it sounds like a good idea for some applications.

John Nunnally
Harding University