Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Proxy/HTTP Tunneliing servers

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:53:48 -0600

I am just wondering about technique, not about reasons why
you should or shouldn't block.

Well, from my relatively limited experience in this
from when I ran an ISP and had half a dozen customers
who asked for it (as was their right by Texas law),
I can say for sure that manually maintaining a block
list is a losing proposition.  You need to subscribe
to some sort of service that keeps these things up
to date.  They will block relay sites as well as
end-user sites.

You know all the usual suspects - cybersitter,
cyber patrol, surfwatch, netnanny etc...

Graham