Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Proxy/HTTP Tunneliing servers

From: Justin Dover <dover () HARPETHHALL ORG>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:57:18 -0600

The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> on Monday,
February 06, 2006 at 11:53 AM -0600 wrote:
You know all the usual suspects - cybersitter,
cyber patrol, surfwatch, netnanny etc...

I think these are all clients that must be installed on each user's machine.  I am looking for a
global solution that installs at the perimeter of the network.  A few ideas of course are proxy
servers/content filtering services like Websense.  I do agree with maintaining my own list of "bad"
ips is a losing battle.

Justin Dover
Harpeth Hall School
615-346-0082