Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Proxy/HTTP Tunneliing servers

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 13:38:06 -0600

You know all the usual suspects - cybersitter, cyber patrol,
surfwatch, netnanny etc...

I think these are all clients that must be installed on each
user's machine.  I am looking for a global solution that
installs at the perimeter of the network.  A few ideas of
course are proxy servers/content filtering services like
Websense.

I can't remember which one, but when I looked at these
some years back at least one of them *was* definitely a
transparent proxy solution that would work for you.  The
only reason we didn't buy it was because they charged
by customer base (around 1500 at the time) rather than
by active users (6).  I would imagine that after all
these years, more than one of the companies offers an
enterprise-style solution rather than a desktop one.

Hopefully we have some k12 schools here that someone
can advise on specifics.  Failing that you might try
asking on an ISP group. Does TN have an ISP association
like we do in Texas?

Graham