Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WIRELESS THEFT

From: Brett Hiscock <BHiscock () omniumworldwide com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:05:32 -0500

Your not parked in the parking lot or anything are you, or hanging of
the roof with a pringles tin attached to your laptop to improve the
signal????

I am not sure how this would make it any better/worse.

Usually, when someone asks this kind of question, they already know the
answer, but want confirmation from others for the action that they are going
to take anyway.  I really don't believe there is a difference between using
the apartment across the street's wireless access or driving looking for
access and then parking in front of someone's business and using it.  Just
because the door of a house is open does not mean that you are invited to
come in and join the owners for dinner.  Just because the "intrusion" is
invisible does not mean that you are not intruding.  A solution may be to
contact the owner of the apartment building and tell them what is up and
that for a mere $200 and hour you will use you _extensive_ security
expertise to help them solve their problem and limit the accessibility by
real bad people (ones that wouldn't even ask the question). Then you have $
for 'Net access and pizza.

$.02 from a long time listener, 1st time caller.