Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WIRELESS THEFT

From: "Raoul Armfield" <armfield () amnh org>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:59:07 -0400

:-----Original Message-----
:From: Alaric Darconville [mailto:alaric () cowboy net]
:Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 3:48 PM
:To: Jeff Knox
:Cc: Mike Dresser; security-basics () securityfocus com
:Subject: RE: WIRELESS THEFT
:
:"that means harmful interference to other devices"
:Which is precisely what I was talking about.  To get any 'usable'
:downstream, you have to send upstream, at first just to initiate the
:connection that you want, and then the normal TCP acknowledgments as you
:receive the data.  The bandwidth you use is bandwidth unavailable to the
:other users, therefore the interference you generate IS harmful (as it
:adversely impacts their authorized usage.)

So are you saying that if I own a two way radio and interfere in the
conversation of a third party that I am breaking the FCC regulation?

Don't get me wrong I agree that it is not proper to use the Wireless signal
that is being transmitted into the posters livingspace but it is a bit
farfetched to call it harmfull interference.

Raoul