Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WIRELESS THEFT

From: "Merrell, Sam" <SMerrell () avbpgh com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:21:47 -0400

Since the person living next door to the apartment in question has never
agreed to the 'EULA', they cannot be in violation of it.  The point remains,
however, that you are not just "receiving the signal", you are using the
processes of the hardware owned by the apartment next door, and you are not
specifically authorized to do so.  But, seeing that they are providing this
free of charge, I would think that you could equate it to them having lights
on to illuminate the sidewalk in front of their building.  It's their
electricity, and their lamps, but more than the residents in that building
will benefit from it.