Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WIRELESS THEFT

From: Jason Kohles <jkohles () redhat com>
Date: 18 Oct 2002 10:28:12 -0400

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 14:26, Ashcraft, Brian S (Contractor) wrote:
Let me just throw my .02 in here.  I am not a lawyer, so I may be wrong.

I have to believe that some where along the line, the cable companies End
User License Agreement is being broken.  They may have worked a deal with
the local cable company to provide cable to the residents as part of their
rental agreement.  However, I have to believe that this deal is exclusive to
them.  Your interception and use of the signal (as a non-resident) may
infringe on this contract between the two companies.  My guess is,
technically, you are breaching the EULA of the cable company, which may (or
may not) open you up to legal troubles.

How exactly can a contract between an apartment complex and a cable
company be broken by a random third person who isn't associated with
either of the parties who signed the contract?  If the EULA is being
breached, it is by the apartment complex who is failing to secure their
network from being used by people not included in the contract, not by
random people who just happen to live within range of the signal.

Then again, I could be wrong :)

Luck,

-b-