Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WIRELESS THEFT

From: Alaric Darconville <alaric () cowboy net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:10:28 -0500 (CDT)

It's not harmful despite the fact that it lowers the bandwidth available
to authorized users?  Suppose you did a ping -f on multiple hosts on the
network, cutting their effective bandwidth due to the traffic you
generated.  Would that not be harmful?  So would downloading a file and
cutting into their bandwidth be any different?  The end result is the
same, you generate traffic and use bandwidth to which you are not
entitled, depriving others of their entitled bandwidth.

The whole sidetrack into the FCC rules is moot-- by actively using the
bandwidth to which you are not entitled is an act of theft.  Again, listen
all you want, don't broadcast.

Alaric