Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: All Advantage Spyware

From: Daehlie Owns <bharr () bendcable com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:16:10 -0700

Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

At 01:36 PM 11-09-2000 +1000, Russel Smith wrote:
Everyone who is upset and suprised about the spyware installed on their
system
should read the fine print and agreements that they agree to when installing
all there software

its all there, its all legal, but most of us don't bother reading the 10 page
long agreements,

A lot of things are legal, but still nasty or rude. I believe it's
reasonable to be upset and surprised by such things. Anyway, having a 10
page long contract with some fine print stating that XX reserves the right
to behave nastily or irresponsibly is rather reprehensible.

But forget all that, the more relevant issue here is - does the software
actually do all that the original poster claims? Does it snarf passwords?
Has anyone else verified that?

Cheerio,

Link.

  I am pretty sure it doesn't snarf passwords, bu tyou never know what dark
purpose they could have for this software, i consider it a trojan, plain and
simple, if some puts a disclaimer on software saying, this is a dangerous trojan,
and we will invade your privacy at will, if you download it, it is your problem.
Most people can't understand the language, or don't read it, it is the job of the
informed person, to try to get the word out oin this issue. I have been trying to
do just that.

peace

Daehlie