Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: All Advantage Spyware

From: "Scott D. Yelich" <scott () SPY ORG>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:46:45 -0600

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
It has come to my attention, that All Advantage corp. 's software for
surfing the net for money, has some dll files that do some interesting
things.
This is not exactly breaking news, but it should still spark plenty of
outrage. A few of us on the list have been working on a project to
document the various spyware systems and detail how they operate from a
"techie's" point of view. If you'd like to help out with this project you
can visit my site or email me directly. We are currently focused on the
Aureate / Radiate system, which uses the advert.dll file you mentioned.

Unless someone "opsin" through some clearly described process, these
things deserve all the hell they get.  Personally, I wouldn't mind
people making "faker" programs that fill these databases with crap.
Things like poison cookies, proxies, anonymizers... these are things
of the future.

Why do I have to give 50 items of personal information simply to
give me feedback to some company (ie: microsoft?).  Companies claim
that they won't sell your data -- great, then they get bought and
the new company decides that it *will* sell your data... etc.

If anyone has any decent poison-ware, please do send me an email.

Scott