Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: How to prevent malicious linking/posting to webapps?

From: "Bluefish (P.Magnusson)" <11a () GMX NET>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:24:50 +0200

I personally don't like the http-referer method, but some seem to use it.

It's client supplied information which is spoofable. Therefore, you are
probably right in being doubtfull.

There seem to be quite a number of ways to prevent such nasties, any ideas
on which are good or which are your favourites?

Using cookies or longer URLs containing a session id seems the logical way
to make these attacks unlikely. Although you have to think twice for such
a thing to add security and not only obscurity.

And the web app has a command which is accessed by a url similar to
http://www.mydomain.com/webapp?command=deletefolder&folderid=1
(assuming using cookies for session authentication and the session is active).

So.... We would perhaps draw the conclusion that having the session id in
a cookie is a bit... risky ;-) Given that you can fool someone to run
your javascript or html file while browsing the site in another window....
*argh*

Btw, any javascript expert know what happens when you have an 100%x100%
frame, and you, as an example, add a site such as hotmail.com in the
frame's URL? Wouldn't the script be able to extract information such as
current URL in the frame?

How do popular websites prevent abuse of their "one click" shopping?

Pray?

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team