Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Spoofed FTP connections

From: johnscimone () HOTMAIL COM (John Scimone)
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:31:31 -0000

When setting up a windows based ftp server yesterday I
noticed the option to enable ip checking for certain
accounts.  What I was wondering is whether any ftp servers
that use this feature are vulnerable to spoofed packets of
a legitimate user telling the server to accept a connect
from another computer(the client sending the spoofed
packets), because isn't the forwarding allowed on most
sites because thats what FXP does to enable FTP to FTP
transfers?  Combining the spoofed packets and the forwarded
connection type option couldn't a client avoid ip based
authentication?  Also if this is possible has anyone
written an FTP client yet that performs this?  This is
totally theoretical and I'm sure I'm probably missing
something which makes this impractical, but any replys are
welcome.