Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Another new worm???

From: Dan_Schrader () TRENDMICRO COM (Dan Schrader)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:10:00 -0700

Blue Boarr wrote:

Any idea what the qualifications are?  I assume one would have to agree not
to distribute outside of the group.  Would the group let in someone who
was producing a free AV product?

The primary qualification is a commitment not to distriute viruses in an
uncontrolled manner.  Yes, they definitely would let  someone in producing a
free AV product.

The last thing any AV vendor needs is more viruses - we get (no
exaggeration) over 500 new viruses a month.  Thousands of files are sent
us each month for analysis.

I understand your point, but again to turn it around... you actually
need "all" viruses to remain competitive, no?

We need fewer virues - the cost of managing 500 new viruses a month is
extraodinary - and is driving some of the smaller vendors/share ware
providers out of the business.  This is one of the factors in the shake-out
the industry has seen past 2 years.  Do you have any idea how expensive it
is to hire engineers in Silicon Valley?

What I was trying to do was reduce the likelyhood of copy cat viruses.
AV
vendors have a firm policy of never giving virus samples to anyone who we
are not sure will be responsible in their handling of the virus.

That is the same as saying "we don't hire hackers."  How do you know?

We make them sign a contract stating that viruses recieved from us will only
be used in a controlled lab, will not be give to others,  . . . . Of course
it is less then perfect - but the point isn't to stop all virus distribution
(never work), just to make it harder for script kiddies to create copy cat
viruses.

For those few people who need to do their own analysis, there are faster,
safer ways of getting the code then relying on someone sending it to you
over on uncontrolled email group days or weeks after the av vendors had
analyzed the virus and provided detailed descriptions of it on our web
sites.  By last Friday every major av vendor had posted write-ups

And what are the faster safer ways, for Joe Nobody, to get those?

Joining REVS, trading viruses with other people you know and trust - not
sending them to an open list, getting to know people in AV - show that you
are useful/reliable/secure and they will work with you.

If those exist, why do you care if I mail it out?

I care if you mail it out to hundreds or thousands of people with no reason
at all to think they will use them responsibly.

Here is where the mailing
lists and media are serving a purpose.  The AV guys had the info they
needed early, and presumable some had updated signature databases.  The
outbreak didn't happen until Monday though..

The outbreak started on Friday.  We send emails to all registered customers
and to all subscribers of our virus alert list on Friday.  Symantec did the
same.  Because these lists are huge, is sometimes takes quite a while for
the emails to go out (we have 300,000 subscribers to our list).

by definition for this type of
virus, if people were prepared, there wouldn't have been an outbreak.  The
failing is still people who don't update their virus databases often
enough.  They still need the media to cry wolf to alert them that something
is up.

You hit the nail on the head.  The idea that we ever will be able to update
300 million desktops fast enough to stop the next lovebug is absurd.  What
we need is to put virus scanning (for the privacy advocates I specify virus
scanning, not content scanning) on the internet backbone.  If we can get a
sufficient number of ISPs scanning all SMTP/POP3 traffic for viruses, we
will have an ideal mechanism for containing virus outbreaks.  Viruses wont
go away - but their impact will be limited.

Think about how much easier it would be to alert and update 2000 ISPs/ASPs
instead of trying to alert millions of people.

I think the AV companies use the same mechanism that I do to weigh how
high the risk level is... how many people get nailed.  I've only put
through like 7 pieces of malware to the list.  It most cases, it was
based on how widespread it was, and therefore interest level.

We have a formal "red alert" proceedure that specifies both the "risk level"
to the outside world and the level of response we anticipate requiring.  To
set the risk level we look at:

1.  Is the virus "in the wild"  (i.e. in active circulation)
2.  How many sites has it been reported to (Trend regularly talks to other
av vendors to ask how many reports)
3.  The propegation mechanism
4.  The platforms affected
5.  The social engineering (an email with an attachement that reads, "heres
my virii" wont go far)
6.  The timing (viruses incidents late on a Friday afternoon or over a
weekend usually are contained before they go far)
7.  Tea leaves

                                        BB