Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Different attack vector - PXE-2.0 protocol

From: ollie () DELPHISPLC COM (Ollie Whitehouse)
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 09:22:13 +0100

All,

o Introduction
This is really to plant a seed in the minds of many on different attack
vectors (i.e. it's theory based). After seeing the posting on BugTraq about
the ISC DHCP client it got me thinking (leading on from something we have
been working on in the lab). Allot of the Intel NICs these days support
PXE-2.0 (2.1) for remote OS loading/booting (RedHat supports this for remote
installs). This got me thinking on the possibility of three things

o The theory
1) Compromise a machine on boot (i.e. either install a compromised version
of the OS from a different builds server or boot a different image - i.e.
taking Man-in-the-middle to a new degree).

2) Boots an image that updates firmware of the machine, boot order, boot
room (re-flashing an Intel NIC for something else?)

3) The third is what we had been working on in the LAB, CISCO PIX 520
firewalls have three Network cards which (if you install a graphics card in
your PIX520) you will see goes though a standard Phoenix bios then attempt
to boot of all three network cards via PXE-2.0. Typically in the way you
would configure a PIX, it would boot outside, DMZ, inside NICS in that
order. So if you can ever get a PIX to crash (it will automatically reboot)
and your compromised host on the DMZ can deliver the DHCP answers to the
DHCP requests for PXE enabled NIC and then deliver the image via TFTP (the
entry to the TFTP server is gained from a DHCP scope property). So you would
be able to configure (in theory) a PIX with a new remotely loaded version of
an image.

o The practice
Well from what I have seen a majority of PXE-2.0 enabled network cards are
set to boot local rather than network so it does wipe out the above attack
vectors (but hey it only takes one).

Something for you all to mull over.

Rgds

Ollie
-----
Ollie Whitehouse
Security Team Leader
Delphis Consulting Plc

WWW: http://www.delphisplc.com/thinking/whitepapers/
TEL: +44 (0)20 7916 0200
FAX: +44 (0)20 7916 1620

Disclaimer:
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the
addressee and
are confidential. They may also be legally privileged. Copyright in them is
reserved by
Delphis Consulting PLC ["Delphis"] and they must not be disclosed to, or
used by, anyone
other than the addressee. If you have received this e-mail and any
accompanying files in
error, you may not copy, publish or use them in any way and you should
delete them from
your system and notify us immediately.

E-mails are not secure. Delphis does not accept responsibility for changes
to e-mails
that occur after they have been sent.

Any opinions expressed in this e-mail may be personal to the author and may
not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Delphis.