Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Introducing the Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project

From: Thomas Jones <thomas.jones () linux-howtos com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:04:52 -0500

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 11:14, Tom Britten wrote:
<snip>

     Yes such training and learning is possible. My company has been
working on a product for security that does learning/training and
protection of systems.  Take a check at www.cylant.com read the white
papers to get an understanding.  I was talking to my boss about using our
systems in honeynets/honeypots.  This will allow learning and control.
Some really get advantages there.

<snip>

     This is a wonderful idea for a number of things, not just control of
 your honeypot.  One of the pieces that gangadhar mentioned was about
 activity.  How about using your other honeypots to help create traffic and
 activity.  You have the ability in either UML or Vmware to run multiple
 machines on one physical box.
     Don't forget to not only create servers as honeypots, but simply
clients as well.  For sometimes they are the only uncontrolled factored
that can be used by a blackhat to wedge themselves in.  Let say you have a
decent box sitting there, run a number of client honeypots and use those to
create traffic and activity on your other honeypots.  This also makes the
server look all that more real.
     Have the design make sense, i.e. don't have clients in your dmz if
that is where your honeypot is located for that will flag it as odd and it
will be ignored.  I think you know what I mean. ^_^

 Tom Britten
 Sr. Systems Engineer

'vserver' can also make a valid contribution to the virtual honeynet argument.

http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc

I have been developing a small virtual honeynet of 7 servers and 24 clients on
one "host" system. It has been two(2)months since i started this
project......and there is still much more to go.

Virtual systems do have 'cons' as well. If an attacker were to monitor process
usage they would see that they do in fact have a ceiling. And the fact that a
'user' can only see the processess within that particular virtual server
----- yet the system performance can take a noticable hit if a multitude of
'servers' and/or 'clients' are generating simultaneous traffic. Hopefully,
this will be attributed to latency and the such....

The reality and validity of the systems are key. I've gone as far as spidering
the internet for 5,000+ names and constructing fake credit card ID's for all
to give the image of a e-commerce site database on one server. To include a
transaction number. Gnumeric and the rand() function work great in my
situtation.

;)
--
Thomas Jones