Honeypots mailing list archives

Re:Introducing the Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project

From: "gangadhar npk" <phani () myrealbox com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:44:27 +0550

hi all,
The idea of a tactical honeynet project is interesting.Here are few of my thoughts.
  - To make the honeypot more of a tactical resource, would, the possibility of *learning* from an actual system be
feasible.
      Suppose we have a simple honeynet with a box, which matches the production system to the dot, except for the
data. A blackhat breaks in and does something more than the simple set of commands, this is the course of action we
(the tactical honeynet) needs to understand. Since these actions donot form part of the normal operations (assume that
the honeynet knows this) the honeynet now *learns* the set of actions which *can* be done.
     The different honeynets across, can share the data of the *normal* actions possible on different kinds of systems
so that any mis-aligned action can trigger the tactical honeynet into the combat mode.

It  may be that this idea might not fall under the purview of honeynets per se, but I wanted to know if such a
modelling would be possible at all.
gangadhar

Michael Anuzis <michael_anuzis hotmail com> Wrote:

Dear honeynet community,
This e-mail is to inform anyone interested of the >establishment of the
Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project ( >http://www.thdp.org ).

Currently there are several honeynet and honeypot >projects in existance and
I think everyone would agree with me if I said: "it >seems like the last
thing the honeynet research community needs is >another project doing the
same old thing..." but at the same time I think we >can each agree honeynet
research has been struggling as of late. Something >has been missing.
Script-kids are the only ones getting "caught", >or "biting the bait" so to
speak. The Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project, with >a complete focus on
the concepts of deception, psychology, and control, >hopes to transform the
honeypot from a tool hacked only by neophyte script->kids, to a more advanced
system of deployment that will be capable of studying >the more sophisticated
class of blackhats.

As of now, our project is just being established and >we have very few
members. For this reason, if you have been in the >study of honeynet research
for a while and are ready to take your honeynet >designs to the next level,
we would be interested in sharing your insights in >our project's pages.

If our project's website (available at >http://www.thdp.org) sounds like
something you would be interested in participating >in, it would be a great
opportunity for us to work together in making today's >limited honeynet
implementations into something more.

Regards,

Michael Anuzis, CCNA
Network Security Consultant