Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Introducing the Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project

From: Scott Garman <sgarman () iname com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:43:47 -0400

A couple of thoughts I was discussing with Mike off-list that I thought
I'd share:

Some intermediate-level attackers might break into a few systems for
political purposes. Running a site on the theme of a political or social
cause could attract this kind of blackhat. Keeping the system well
hardened is generally enough to raise the bar above script kiddies.

Also, wouldn't breaking into the site of a self-proclaimed "security
expert" be something that an egotistical blackhat would love to brag
about?

For these two scenarios, you still won't be catching well-disciplined
professionals, but you might get more interesting attacks, possibly
0days, if you harden the systems beforehand and have some patience.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
sgarman at iname dot com