Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Introducing the Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:30:54 -0400

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:21:39 PDT, greg () sixx com  said:
I'm interested in honeypots and tarpits, but I'm also seriously suffering
from newbieism.  Why are only script kiddies the ones being caught? What
is it that black hats are seeing that keeps them from biting?

The clued black hats are for the most part busy running targeted attacks on
specific sites.  If you're a black hat planning a run  on Foobar Corp's website
to harvest some credit card numbers, you're not going to hit Foobar's honeypot
unless they leave a lot of red herrings that flag the box as a backend server.

And if they DO hit it, they're gonna do a 'df' and a 'ps' and if it doesn't smell
right, they are OUTTA there./