Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Introducing the Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project

From: "Dan Hawrylkiw" <dh () ahpra org>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 13:41:25 -0700

I'm glad to see any advancement in honeynets and agree that more
deceptive boxes make it less likely that an advanced blackhat will
'bail'.  However, I think there are three requirements for capturing
advanced activity- Location, Location, and Location..

Advanced blackhats aren't interested in collecting rooted boxes.  They
are interested in information.  What this means is that they will be
looking for concentrations of valuable information.  Where?- Probably
high profile netblocks and/or production servers.  Advanced blackhats
will probably only use a host found through random scanning as a
jumping-off point.  The reality is that they probably won't root a
random box any differently than a script-kiddie.  While it would be
interesting to see how a jump point was used by an advanced black-hat, I
wouldn't want to touch the potential legal issues of being a middle-man
in a theft of over 100K credit card numbers.

I have seen *somewhat* more interesting activity (such as defacement
attempts) on honeypots used to offload attacks from internet facing web
or mail servers.  These honeypots can be used to 'protect' production
systems from real attacks, which is legally plausible.  Merely
monitoring the attacker's activity is legally unclear, and big players
with more to lose are less likely to be interested in playing.  With
that said- If the legal issues weren't there, I think the most
interesting captures would come from honeynets that looked like
backdoors into an organization's internal network.

/Dan Hawrylkiw
Phoenix Area Network Intrusion Research Alliance

Honeypot:
   noun; Online multiplayer role-playing game; where only one party
knows who is playing.