Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Need your helping defining honeypots

From: <Glenn_Everhart () bankone com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:07:48 -0400

A honeypot is also useful to detect people who may be exceeding their
authorization. (Favors option 1.). Someone who attempts to
log in via ftp with "anonymous" and fails and goes away is not
doing anything wrong. Someone who does so, gets in, and then
starts asking for directories of files whose names might suggest
they contain sensitive information, on the other hand, is behaving
suspiciously and may be exceeding authorization.

Since one must attempt to use net services to find whether any
are offered openly (and thus authorized), it seems wrong to suggest
that such attempts on a machine are unauthorized.