Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Need your helping defining honeypots

From: Christian Kreibich <christian () whoop org>
Date: 19 May 2003 14:55:23 +0100

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 09:46, Sergio Pozo Hidalgo wrote:
Andy Cuff [talisker] wrote:
Hi Lance
My preference is to the latter, though I do prefer Davide's version:

"A honeypot is a security resource used to monitor, log, and study the
actions of unauthorized entities which probe, attack or compromise it."

Matt Fisher introduces the term decoy which is especially pertinent to
development honeypots, perhaps this could be used instead of resource.
Whilst we are discussing definitions is there a better term for development
honeypots?

Hi all,
I have a combination of Lance, Ed Shirey, Matt Fisher, Davide Del
Vecchio and your definition (please excuse me if I've forgotten someone):

A true meltingpot of a honeypot definition!

:)

Cheers,
Christian.
--