Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Need your helping defining honeypots

From: George Bakos <gbakos () ists dartmouth edu>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 01:52:14 -0400

Props to Richard for the broadest, yet still concise, definition thus far.
The only issue I see is the term "computer". This may further place limits
on the type of resources that may be positioned to best observe illicit
use.

Is an optical switch, or a voicemail system a "computer resource?"
Instrumenting and deploying either of these could certainly be referred to
as honeypotting, no?

Perhaps: "A honeypot is an information system resource the value of which
lies in monitoring unauthorized or illicit use of that resource."

Cheers,

On Fri, 16 May 2003 16:31:34 -0400 (EDT)