Honeypots mailing list archives

FW: Need your helping defining honeypots

From: "Axel de Kimpe" <axel () dekimpe net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 00:00:30 +0200

my 2 pence to the list as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Axel de Kimpe [mailto:axel () dekimpe net]
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 9:26 PM
To: 'Lance Spitzner'
Cc: KENIS LIEVEN
Subject: RE: Need your helping defining honeypots

Lance,

regarding your idea, honey needs both.

option 1 describes purpose, option 2 describes usage.  i'd say they are
mutually inclusive.

a suggestion : A honeypot is an inexpensive, completely controlled,
secure and pre-emptive security resource-environment, whose main added
value lies in it being probed, attacked, or compromised - whenever,
whatever resource and wherever, you decide. As such a honeypot is - at
its core - a resource-environment operated to monitor the use of the
available resources, by entities who are unauthorized or whom are
thought to be unauthorized by their presence in this
resource-environment.

just my 2 pence of course.

greetings,

Axel