Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Need your helping defining honeypots

From: Jeremy Bennett <jeremy_f_bennett () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:36:14 -0700 (PDT)

Good point Richard. Here's the definition I've been using in
presentations:

A honeypot is any system who’s sole purpose lies in being a potential
target for attacks.

You make me realize, though that there are two core uses of honeypots
that need to be addressed. The first is the honeypot as a decoy server,
this is covered by my definition above. The second is a honeypot as a
deception environment, such as a warez server.
I would revise my definition as follows:

A honeypot is any system who's sole purpose lies in being probed,
attacked, or used by unauthorized persons or their agents.

Some have pointed out that honeypots can capture authorized users
attempting to use the honeypot for unauthorized reasones. I argue that
authorization on one system does not confer authorization to another,
nor does a valid logon to a system grant authorization to log in. Thus
there are no authorized users of a honeypot.

-J