Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: <Cisco Message> Mike Lynn's controversial Cisco Security Presentation

From: Jason Coombs <jasonc () science org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:37:54 -1000

J.A. Terranson wrote:
didn't get my copy from Infowarrior.  Nor have I seen any "order".

"On Thursday, Judge Jeffrey White of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California issued a permanent injunction preventing further distribution of the material (attached). Cisco Systems, Inc. and Internet Security Systems, Inc. v. Michael Lynn and Black Hat Inc. United States District Court, Northern District of California."

http://www.infowarrior.org/users/rforno/lynn-cisco.pdf

Your point seems to be that because your name was not listed in the list of Defendants, nor were you referenced in a Does 1-99 placeholder, that the order does not apply to you.

I know you're not suggesting that copyright law no longer applies to you, or that the .pdf lost its copyright protection the moment somebody put it on the Internet.

If you're saying that Judge White's order doesn't apply to anyone other than the named Defendants, and that until the order is expanded to include the whole of the citizens of the United States, et seq, there is no trade secret protection afforded to the document, then I invite you to attempt to sell it to a foreign government and we'll see how well you are able to convince the court that you did not engage in espionage because the material was no longer a trade secret.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org