Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: <Cisco Message> Mike Lynn's controversial CiscoSecurity Presentation

From: Georgi Guninski <guninski () guninski com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:51:55 +0300

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 03:19:47PM +0000, DAN MORRILL wrote:
From what I understand (I am writing a major paper on Intellectual
Property
Protection right now, the Joy of being a student) the creator of the data
has the direct right under Title 17 and the DMCA to determine how the data
will be used (hence expiring CDR's and DRM).

If data is sent in error that does not limit or otherwise reduce the rights
of the data owner, and the data owner can request that the data be removed.
The data owner can also request assurances that the data has been removed
from all parties that they believe have copies of that data. Cisco in their
message has acted according to American law by requesting that all copies
of the data that is held in private hands be deleted as they are the acting
IP owners along with ISS. Cisco is acting as the agent of the IP owner
(much like RIAA and MPAA do for artists and movie makers).

Their request is quite legal, and at least they were polite about it.

oh, the first puppy on this thread iirc.

can you broadcast your message to outside usa jurisdiction, preferably via
paid commercials?

--
where do you want bill gates to go today?