IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS is dead, etc

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:58:54 -0500

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 12:15, Bennett Todd wrote:
I do maintain, however, that by combining tight configuration
control with complete abstinance from known-bad software, you can
raise the barrier sufficiently high that the attacks that succeed
will be so wildly new and out of left field that your IDS would be
no more help than your firewall. IDSes detect known problems;
they're the "anti-virus scanners" of the network.

If you limit your thinking to signature based IDS's then yes. However,
anomalies, abnormal traffic, policy violations, and other "weird stuff"
*can* be detected by IDS's (if so configured), and let's you move the
detection capabilities beyond the "known stuff".

Marty brought up the point about how people use/not-use Snort. Snort
rocks because it is so configurable, as Marty said, a framework for your
custom solution (in your custom network). With Snort we can do anomaly
detection and catch a lot of "unkowns". Other IDS's may not be as
flexible, but that doesn't mean that Intrusion Detection can not detect
the abnormal things. If your IDS just acts as a network based virus
scanner, perhaps you need to take a look at some other IDS's.

Cheers,
Frank