IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS is dead, etc

From: Scott Wimer <scottw () cylant com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:37:24 -0700

The perfect firewall is a thick chunk of brie with cat-5 cables jammed into it.

The assumption that human beings can design, write, and install software without error is WRONG. Human beings make mistakes. There is zero emperical evidence to support the idea that complex software will ever be free of vulnerabilities. zip. nada. none. zilch.

Proposing that networks can be secured by not using vulnerability free software is tantamount to proposing we pursue perpetual motion machines to solve the environmental problems caused by petroleum use.

Unfortunately, this silly notion has been the mantra of the security industry for so long, that people are starting to believe it. What a shame.

Will somebody please point me to an error free human endeavor?

Joy,
scottwimer

Bennett Todd wrote:
[ SNIP ]
Understandable. I really shouldn't have included that remark; or
else I should have expanded on it. I didn't say "properly configured
firewall", I said "really perfectly implemented firewall", and I
meant something different by that, although I neglected to explain.

A perfectly implemented firewall allows no protocols through for
which there are vulnerable implementations inside. That means it's
impossible to implement a perfect firewall if you're going to allow
Windows users to have internet access. You can come moderately
close, with a hideous amount of work, but you'll still be very
exposed, and an IDS will be critical reinforcement of your flawed
security.

But given suitable systems configuration, it is possbile to have a
perfect firewall, and if you do then an IDS is just an educational
tool, and would probably be most useful in concert with a honeypot.

--
Scott M. Wimer, CTO                      Cylant
www.cylant.com                           121 Sweet Ave.

Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
- Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
- Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
**FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
Visit us at: http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/31.htm