IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS is dead, etc

From: Jonathan Rickman <jonathan () xcorps net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:22:20 -0400

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 01:01, Omar Herrera wrote:

The key is "correlation", and right now I don't se a better security
solution than a well prepared security professional to correlate that.

I think that will remain the case for a long time to come. After all,
security is a process. The process involves technical and human factors.
Attempting to engineer people out of the process will ultimately fail.
Systems only have two possible answers to any given question...yes or no.
People can respond with very detailed conditional responses. Never
underestimate the power of maybe, if, but, and or.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security

Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
 - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
**FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
Visit us at: http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/31.htm