IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS is dead, etc

From: "JAVIER OTERO" <jotero () SMARTEKH com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:27:37 -0500

In my opinion IDS will dead in actual form, when you are notified about an atack is better that dont know, but is
better stop the attack.
The IDS must evolutionate to firewall technology and viceversa, firewall must include IDS technolgy, for stop attacks.
One vendor that is doing this is netscreen, they have the IDP (IDS + prevention)and they are working in add to their FW
some IDP features. This will put in the internet gateway more security, and more tuning, but still will be required the
internal IDP, like antivirus you require in gateway, mail and PC they can still put an infected diskete.

Ing. Fco. Javier Otero De Alba
Diplomado en Seguridad Informática ITESM CEM
Grupo Smartekh
Antivirus Expertos
Bussiness Continuity
Inftegrity