IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS is dead, etc

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:26:06 -0500

--On Wednesday, August 13, 2003 12:22 PM -0400 Jonathan Rickman <jonathan () xcorps net> wrote:

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 01:01, Omar Herrera wrote:

The key is "correlation", and right now I don't se a better security
solution than a well prepared security professional to correlate that.

I think that will remain the case for a long time to come. After all,
security is a process. The process involves technical and human factors.
Attempting to engineer people out of the process will ultimately fail.
Systems only have two possible answers to any given question...yes or no.

Are you really serious about this? Because I don't think you could possibly be more wrong. There are an infinite number of answers that can be returned for a given set of parameters, not a simple yes or no. Mind you, I'm not arguing that you can solve every problem with an algorithm, but *surely* you don't really believe that algorithms can only respond with binary answers? If this were really true, it wouldn't even be possible to have more than two alert levels - Alert or no alert.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member
http://www.utdallas.edu

Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
- Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
- Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
**FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
Visit us at: http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/31.htm