IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS is dead, etc

From: Omar Herrera <oherrera () prodigy net mx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:01:27 -0500

Sounds good, but...

It seems more a wish than a prediction. There simply is no technology
that will be able to handle and correlate all the variables needed for
an effective "intrusion prevention" (I personally don't even like the
term "Intrusion prevention systems", it is confusing and ambiguous).

If right now, we are having a hard time configuring a simple nIDS to do
some automatic response (even with the best of our security experts
involved). How is that technology going to do that without causing more
harm (DoS?) than good?

Basically, a nIDS with response capabilities to cut connections has the
same effect as instructing a firewall to block the source of an attack,
identified by a nIDS.

To be able to work effectively, this device would need to:
* Recognize that we have customer/business partner relationships
* Relate Ip addresses, services and network names with corresponding
business relationships and process
* Know what your business is about (at least in terms of what the
network is used for)
* Know how and why business processes change
* Know what is done at which hour, day, month
* correlate all of the above, and much more, and apply filters
accordingly
* And also generate reports the way your boss likes them

Automated systems can be used to do each of these activities
individually (at least those that are simple enough) fairly well, but
when you try to put them together, the automatic part of that system
will cease to exist because you will have someone behind fine tuning the
thing, permanently.

The key is "correlation", and right now I don't se a better security
solution than a well prepared security professional to correlate that.

In my opinion, instead of trying to build something to replace those
experts with technology that right now is unable to do so, we should
focus on making better tools to help them correlate security events.

If I remember correctly, building the perfect intelligent device was an
idea of the early stages of artificial intelligence, and people in that
area recognized decades ago that it is more feasible to create small
systems to deal with relatively simple tasks and a small number of
variables.

Just some thoughts...

Omar Herrera