Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Access to Porn sites?

From: Scott Gennari <sgennari () SIMONS-ROCK EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 10:07:42 -0400

On 8/15/19 9:40 AM, Boyd, Daniel wrote:

Besides, if a user is determined to surf these sites, they’ll do it on their own devices, with their own bandwidth.

Many of our students use free or paid VPN services to protect their interests (or should I say privacy?). So even if we as an institution decide to block porn sites (which we don't) they'd just VPN out and get to wherever they want to go using our bandwidth as the gateway, bypassing any blocks we would dare put in place. :)

An interesting thread and thanks to all who posted.

Scott

--
Scott Gennari
ITS System Administrator