Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXT] Re: [SECURITY] Access to Porn sites?

From: randy <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 10:34:29 -0400

Looking at the replies on this thread, it's not clear what the problem is.
Are we making the assumption that all porn/gambling/"adult" site are the
source of all/most successful malware attacks against our institutions (the
technical defense) or is the reason for blocking these site based on
arbitrary non-technical reasons? If we look at the technical side, we're
talking about basic threat intel which can be addressed by aforementioned
solutions like Palo Alto, Barracuda, DNS-RPZ, Cisco Umbrella, etc. Services
like these don't care what the site does/provides, only that the sites
historically have been the source of successful malware attacks. How does a
domain get put into these filters and more importantly how does a domain
get removed from these filters? This is one of the key questions I like to
ask providers of filtering services. I mention this because we were the
victim of an email spam DOS attack a couple of years. A couple of our hosts
sent out a bunch of spam. External emailers flagged our domain as being a
spam source and put us in their "blacklist". We didn't know we were put in
these blacklists and it was a challenge to get removed from them. We only
found out months later when alumni started complaining that they could
email us because their email systems block us. This is why I believe great
care should be taken if arbitrary blocks are put in place.

We all know that the majority of malware source come from regular
machines/servers/domains. Do you have data to support/justify your
technical approach? I focus on the metrics side of things in order to
address the "academic" freedom issue. I suppose if an org can show the 75%
of their successful attacks came from adult/gambling sites that can justify
putting blocks in place. My point is that if you're considering any type of
blocks at the border, make sure this response addresses the root cause and
you have metrics to show why a response is necessary. Of course, there are
sites that should be blocked or access to them restricted in some way but
the reason for the block should be clear.

Address the root cause.

-Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office and Lab.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 9:18 AM Gary McCullors <gary.mccullors () athens edu>