Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXT] Re: [SECURITY] Access to Porn sites?

From: Gary McCullors <gary.mccullors () ATHENS EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 13:17:49 +0000

We’ve been blocking porn sites for years using Barracuda’s web filter.  I think they call it Web Security Gateway, now.

The only pushback we had was from the library.  They tried to say that a student researching breast cancer would be
blocked from accessing valid breast cancer sites because of the word breast.  A quick demonstration to the
administration showed that the library’s argument was not valid.

We took the same approach as Norfolk State for academic access to porn sites.  The have to make a formal request and it
must be approved by the Provost’s office.

We get a few false-positives a month, but not enough to make it unmanageable – benefits of being a small school.

Interestingly, when we started blocking porn sites we did not find any faculty or day-time staff in the logs for
attempting to access porn sites.  The only consistent facility showing up in the logs was the library.  Once the public
visitors found out they couldn’t get to porn sites from our network, they quit coming to our library and the entries
dropped to almost zero.

Gary

--

Gary W. McCullors
Director, Information Technology Services