Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Access to Porn sites?

From: David Eilken <david.eilken () DOMAIL MARICOPA EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 10:35:53 -0700

Thanks all for responses on this. Regarding the larger topic of Academic
Freedom, which doesn't make the Internet open and fully accessible.  We all
(users of technology) have to block things - lots of things. As technology
professionals, we all know this. It is simply not practical or ethical to
have a fully open computing environment.  Boundaries are a necessity;
besides your ISP would shut you down at some point.

I like Randy at VA Tech's thoughts that were focused on the technical
controls. Regardless of the content, there are things that are known bad.
We all should be blocking bad things. However we determine what is bad
(different vendors have different kinds/ quality of intelligence), there
will always be false-positives. We still have to draw lines in the sand and
those lines will never be perfect.

Sometimes faculty and other non-technical people may get this confused. We
all already block/ filter bad things, some porn/gambling sites will cross
that line and should be filtered. If you can't draw your lines as clear as
some, with the intelligence sources as Randy noted, it comes down to your
level of risk tolerance. The risks with porn surfing specifically change
daily but generally, we know it to be bad. I personally believe you should
block it and provide exceptions where needed. That is a prudent and
practical approach, as the risks are real and significant, and the actual
permitted use cases for access to it are few.

Dave E

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:57 AM Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks () vt edu>