Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Access to Porn sites?

From: "Bradley, Stephen" <bradlesw () MIAMIOH EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:40:27 -0400

We do not block adult sites.  We have gone as far as to whitelist certain
sites when our Palo Alto systems were blocking them and users complained on
Reddit.

steve

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 7:08 PM Babak Oskouian <boskouia () mills edu> wrote:

Hi All,

We at Mills College have been kicking around the idea of blocking access
to porn sites on our network. Needless to say, we have gotten some push
back. Our plan (if it is green-lighted) is to use the built-in "adult"
filters that our Palo Alto firewall provides.
I am curious as to how many of you block porn sites, and if you do and
especially if you use a Palo Alto device, have you had to do a lot of
fine-tuning of your filters to eliminate false-positives?

Thanks.

Babak

*Babak Oskouian, Ph.D. | Campus Network Engineer | Information Security
Officer*

*Mills College | 5000 MacArthur Blvd | Oakland, CA 94613-1301*

*Office: Stern Hall 007; Phone: 510-430-2224 <510-430-2224>*

--
“The Strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight
wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them.”

Stephen W. Bradley CISSP GNFA GCFA GCIH GWAPT SSCP
Senior Security Engineer
Miami University
IT Services
bradlesw () miamioh edu